Our honours programs provide exciting and challenging opportunities to pursue independent research in a variety of disciplines. You'll have the chance to contribute to a specific area of science and to make a difference by personally contributing to published literature.
The benefits of studying Honours
- The opportunity to pursue further study in one specialist area in more depth than is possible with a pass degree;
- Developing and enhancing research skills relevant to your area of specialisation;
- Developing a base of knowledge and technical skills sufficient for enrolment in postgraduate research degrees, or for a specialist career;
- Entry leading to an academic career;
- Entry leading to a professional career where higher level research skills are required;
- Facilitating progression to PhD for students attaining Honours Class I or IIA.
For honours entry requirements, course lists and program rules, see:
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) – Mathematics, Physics and Statistics
- Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) (4th year of program) – Mathematics and Physics
- Bachelor of Mathematics (Honours)
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) – Mathematics.
Finding a supervisor and completing the School Honours application form - Bachelor of Science (Honours), Bachelor of Mathematics (Honours) and Bachelor of Arts (Honours)
You will need to find a supervisor for your honours project. For information about research areas, visit our Research pages. By following the link for an area of research, you will find contact details for the academics who are researching in that area. You can then contact a staff member who is researching in your area of interest and discuss a suitable project with them. A list of some honours projects in the school can be found at Available research projects (searchable by research group areas).
When you have found a supervisor, you can complete the School Honours application form.
Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) students approaching their fourth year of the program should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
Name and student number
Project title and project course code
Field of study in the BAdvSc(Hons).
More information is found in the SMP Honours handbook.
Whom do I contact for help?
For enquiries about the honours program, contact the School’s Student Administration office:
Telephone: +61 (0) 7 3365 2673 or +61 (0) 7 3365 6065
Or email: email@example.com.
|SMP Honours Handbook .pdf||1.18 MB|
|School Honours application form Sem 2, 2017.pdf||534.25 KB|