UQ quantum researcher secures Cambridge scholarship

24 Jun 2024

Cian Luke MartinUniversity of Queensland quantum physicist and mathematician Cian Luke Martin is heading to the University of Cambridge after landing a prestigious Cambridge Australia Scholarship.

The UQ undergraduate will be completing a Master of Advanced Studies in Theoretical Physics, launching the talented student’s research career.

Mr Luke Martin said that he has always been fascinated by the beauty inherent in mathematical structures, especially those that arise in physics that describe the inner workings of the natural world.

“I like to think of humanity as a giant that is slowly crossing an endless ocean,” Mr Luke Martin said.

“This giant is aided by a rock bridge being built in front of it, pebble by pebble, boulder by boulder.

“Each paper published, each advance in knowledge is a rock placed in front of the giant, allowing humanity to progress slightly further.

“My most fundamental desire is to join this bridge building at the forefront of fundamental theoretical physics research.”

The nine-month coursework program is well known for its intensity and mathematical rigour.

“I’m very much looking forward to the opportunity to rise to the occasion,” Mr Luke Martin said.

“This program will prepare me best for the higher study of theoretical physics in my PhD – which I intend to pursue – and beyond.

“Here at UQ, I’ve benefited immensely from many opportunities to extend myself beyond my degree.

“In academic pursuits, this manifested through completing two summer research projects, organising and running an honours physics Special Topics course and presenting at conferences, like the UQ Science Undergraduate Research Conference.

“And, outside of academics, I’ve had the great fortune to find wonderful communities of passionate and highly motivated people with the UQ Science Leaders Academy as well as UQ Demo Troupe.

“Through UQ Demo Troupe in particular, I’ve grown greatly as a science communicator both in my confidence and my ability to present to any audience: from kindergarteners to World Science Festival Brisbane.

“And I’ve just returned from one such regional outreach trip where I presented science demonstrations and led workshops for P-12 students in Mount Isa.”

Mr Luke Martin is thrilled to be surrounded by world leaders in his field.

“I’m most excited for the opportunity to meet like-minded individuals looking to challenge themselves,” he said.

“Similarly, I find great joy in developing software and visualisations for scientists and students alike, and am eager to find a community of people to join me in this endeavour, and of course explore the beautiful gardens in Cambridge and write poetry.”

More information about the scholarship can be found on the Cambridge Australia Scholarships website.

Media: Faculty of Science Media, science.media@uq.edu.au, +61 438 162 687.